Stacks Image 556

Sir William Sharington

Owner 1540 - 1553


born c.1495

died 9th July 15531

  1. ‘The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1509-1558’, ed. S.T. Bindoff, Secker & Warburg,1982
  2. ‘Lacock Owners’, Meg Holbrook, Elizabeth Gibb & Others, Devizes & District U3A Lacock Research Group

Introduction

Caretaker of Lacock from Dissolution in 1539, until he purchased the Abbey and lands from Henry VIII in 1540 for the not inconsequential sum of £783.13.10d2

He remained working at Court, and was promoted to Groom of the Robes (the King’s equivalent of the Queen’s Ladies in Waiting) in 1540

He led a very colourful life, which we hope to cover here in time


Alt image
Stacks Image 880

Sir William Sharington (c. 1495 - 1553)

British (English School), circa 1545/53
© National Trust